The USFS logs 'Current Large Incidents,' but the data are only available as a single day kmz, or a remote csv. This service will retrieve any day (with logged large incidents) and return it as geoJSON.
API 1.0 Resource ...yep, there's only one...
Returns JSON (or JSONp) object of the parameter date's large fire incidents. Return obeject has 3 child nodes:
example successful call
- date: the parameter date passed to the api
- geojson: the geoJON object of the incidents. This contains 4 properties:
- area: acres of the fire
- fire_name: USFS common name
- fire_number: USFS incident ID
- report_date: USFS report date
- status: indicates that the call was a success
ERROR - Always returns a success as long as API is up and running. Many dates have no data, so an invalid return is likely. The 'status' node if what you want to use to determine quality of return.
Returns JSON (or JSONp) object of the unsuccessful request. Return obeject has 3 child nodes:
example no-data call
example invalid format call
- error: the specific error ('no data'|'not valid date (format YYYY-MM-DD)')
- parameter: the parameter as passed to the api
- status: indicates that the call was not a success